[vtkusers] decimating for surgery simulation

Michel Audette m.audette at aist.go.jp
Wed Sep 29 01:24:38 EDT 2004

Hi everyone,

I am putting together a surgery simulator, and I have very specific requirements for a surface mesh, produced with Marching Cubes then decimated. First, the triangles must be extremely regular: no thin triangles, in other words. Second, I would like to decimate in a manner that produces small triangles near the target area for the simulator, and extremely large triangles far away from that target, so that the simulation concentrates on biomechanical computations near the surgical tool's likely volume of interaction.

I'm leaning towards using VTK results as an initialization for a surface mesh model, if VTK cannot do this, but nevertheless, I'm interested in what can be achieved easily. Are there features in VTK that can produce this kind of meshing?

Best regards,

Michel Audette, Ph.D.,
Research Fellow, Surgical Simulation,
Surgical Assist Technology Group,
AIST,
Namiki 1-2,
Tsukuba, Japan,
305-8564.
"If you think you can do it, you're right.
 If you think you can't do it, you're still right."
- Henry Ford