[vtkusers] vtkCurvatures: mean curvature

jarv0075 jarv0075 at umn.edu
Wed Sep 29 00:30:48 EDT 2004

I believe this mean curvature implementation is a bit different than the
one used in VTK (since there's no certified -right- way of going from
continuous to discrete curvature), but the following paper:

   http://www-grail.usc.edu/pubs/DMSB_III.pdf

should help explain why it is how it is.  (Took me a while too).

HTH,

-Tim

---------------------------------------
 Timothy R. Jarvis
---------------------------------------
Graduate Research Assistant
International Neuroimaging Consortium
VA Medical Center
612-467-2619
http://www.neurovia.umn.edu

On 28 Sep 2004, Bernard Chiu wrote:
> Dear vtk users,
>
> I am a novice in differential geometry and I would like to ask the
experts
> about a number of issues in the implementation of the class vtkCurvature:
>
> (1)I understand that the mean curvature of an vertex was calculated by
> averaging the curvature along each edge connected to the vertex. However,
> don't understand how the curvature along an edge can be calculated by
H(edge