[vtkusers] slow data load time (compared to AMIRA)

Kate Kerekes kerekes at fastmail.fm
Mon Sep 27 13:03:45 EDT 2004

Hello All,

I am having problems with the time it takes to load a series of slices of
data 512x512, 512 slices of shorts.  For example, loading such a data set in
AMIRA software takes 22 seconds, while in my vtk tcl program (using
ImageReader2) shown below it takes 55 seconds.

I do not think this is due to memory caching.  We have repeated this
experiment on different machines restarting the machines in between running
the AMIRA load and the vtk load programs.

I am running this on my laptop running Windows XP with service pack 2, AMD
athlon 64 chipset 3000+, with 512 megs of memory.

Does anyone know why there would be such a performance difference?  Am I
using the right reader?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kate Kerekes

#!/bin/sh
load vtkCommonTCL.dll
load vtkFilteringTCL.dll
load vtkGraphicsTCL.dll
load vtkIOTCL.dll
load vtkImagingTCL.dll
load vtkRenderingTCL.dll
load vtkHybridTCL.dll
source Interactor.tcl
source bindings-rw.tcl
source bindings-iw.tcl
source bindings.tcl
source setget.tcl

console show
set time1 [clock clicks -milliseconds]
vtkImageReader2 reader
[reader GetOutput] ReleaseDataFlagOn
	reader SetDataExtent 0 511 0 511 0 511
	reader SetDataScalarTypeToShort
	reader SetDataByteOrderToLittleEndian
	reader SetFilePrefix "C:\\mouse512\\"
	reader SetFilePattern "%s%.4d.slice"

reader Update
set time2 [clock clicks -milliseconds]
puts "time=[expr ($time2*1.0-$time1*1.0)/1000] seconds"