[vtkusers] Question::Writing Simple Legacy Formats

Winfried Bilgic 4Winne at web.de
Thu Sep 23 08:38:00 EDT 2004

Hey,

i want to visualize my data with VTK. The data will be coming from an
electromagnetic field simulator (FDTD) on a rectilinear grid and a time
depended field.  Reading the VTK file format document leaves two
questions open. Beginning with an example my VTK file would be

#vtk DataFile Version 4.2
FDTD on a rectilinear Grid
ASCII
DATASET RECTILINEAR_GRID
DIMENSIONS 10 12 14 = nx ny nz
X_COORDINATES 10 float = nx dataType
0 10 22 30 40 etc.
Y_COORDINATES 12 float
0 14 20 24 30 etc.
Z_COORDINATES 14 float
0 4 8 12 16 etc.

FIELD MyFieldName 3
MyTimestep1 6 1680 float = arrayName0	numComponents	numTuples
dataTyp
{ Field values }
MyTimestep2 6 1680 float
{ Field values }
MyTimestep3 6 1680 float
{ Field values }

My first question is, does numTuples should be equal to nx*ny*nz as i
think ? And the second more important one, how will the array be
fullfilled, where on the field definition is the point with the
coordinates (0,0,0) or (10,0,0) in (x,y,z) format located ? The point
(0,0,0) is nearly clear, should be the first element on the field
definition, but what happen with the point (10,0,0) ?

Can anyone help ? Regards Winfried