[vtkusers] How to obtain surface normals of 3D object as input to new vtk code?

Vidya Raghavan vidya_raghavan at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 22 01:24:57 EDT 2004

Dear VTK Users,

I need the surface normals of a 3D object for some filtering code that I
will be writing in Tcl. I could display the normals using glyphs, but how do
I actually get the normals' values as input to the code that I need?
The code that I have below is to create a .vtp data file and displaying the
3d object from the.vtp file. I will really appreciate your help.
Thanks,
-vidya
foreach tissue {1} {

   # write the models to file
    selectTissue ThresholdBetween $tissue $tissue
    writer SetFileName model$tissue.vtk
    writer Write

    #create readers, mappers, and actors
    vtkXMLPolyDataReader reader$tissue
       reader$tissue SetFileName model$tissue.vtk

    vtkPolyDataMapper mapper$tissue
       mapper$tissue SetInput [reader$tissue GetOutput]

   vtkProperty prop$tissue
      prop$tissue SetDiffuseColor [math Random] [math Random] [math Random]
prop$tissue SetSpecularPower 50
      prop$tissue SetSpecular .5
      prop$tissue SetDiffuse .8

    vtkActor actor$tissue