[vtkusers] cell and face attributes in a single vtk data file

Tuley, Robert robert.tuley at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Sep 21 07:24:54 EDT 2004

Hi,

I'm trying to write a simple vtk legacy file using fortran that contains
cfd data. The mesh can be exported as an UNSTRUCTURED_GRID dataset, and
I understand the syntax to attach data values to the cells or individual
nodes in the dataset.

What I would like to do in addition to this is to attach data values to
the cell faces (fluxes, etc.) and am not sure how to do this - the vtk
documentation on file formats doesn't seem to help much on this subject.

Is this possible? If not, any suggestions how else to go about it (I
would like to keep all the data in a single file)? I thought about using
POLYDATA and specifying the faces, then trying to build cells from the
faces but think I will run into problems with this too?

Thanks for your time,

Rob.