[vtkusers] Java app Xlib async problem

tom fogal tfogal at apollo.sr.unh.edu
Tue Sep 14 16:47:17 EDT 2004

 <Pine.LNX.4.44.0409141334030.2677-100000 at kingfisher.pmel.noaa.gov>Christopher.Moore at noaa.gov writes:

>I know this was beaten to death, but I'm a humble C++ programmer trying to
>learn Java.
>
>I'm using VTK 4.2 on RedHat 9, and I create a Java application, with a
>simple GUI, based on the Examples.  It uses vtkCanvas (which extends
>vtkPanel), so I thought I didn't have to worry about calls to the Renderer
>from the GUI, but I still get Xlib: unexpected async reply.

I don't claim to be very experienced with java, but if memory serves
right I believe that the above Xlib error is common when you have
multiple threads trying to access / draw to the same X window, or
something like that. Java is of course heavily multithreaded, so
(without even looking at the code...) might this be the problem?
Perhaps you could add a mutex that an object/method/routine would need
to acquire before it can do any drawing?

Sorry if this doesn't help, it just jumped into my head as a 'red
flag'...

-tom