[vtkusers] Re: Render takes 30 seconds on ATI Mobility Radeon 9700

Goodwin Lawlor goodwin.lawlor at ucd.ie
Thu Sep 9 17:54:41 EDT 2004

Hi Per,
I ran your test using the tcl command "time {data Modified; renWin Render}
30" to calculate the times *per iteration*. I ran it twice- once with the
default mapper settings and once with ImmediateModeRenderingOn... here are
the times:

Iterations IMR-Off          IMR-On
1             0.426083         0.108912
2             0.691857         0.079707
5             0.850134         0.06161
10           0.908248         0.054428
20           0.943922         0.04934
30           0.981068         0.048095

Its pretty clear that for a large dataset ImmediateModeRendering gives
better rendering times. The GeForce card must handle retained mode rendering
more efficiently than then the ATI...

hth

Goodwin