[vtkusers] Render takes 30 seconds on ATI Mobility Radeon 9700

Per R. Andresen pra at trivision.dk
Thu Sep 9 06:39:00 EDT 2004

Dear VTK users,

I really need some help on this.

I have a very simple pipeline (polydata -> mapper -> actor -> vtkRenderer ->
vtkRenderWindow -> vtkRenderWindowInteractor) and the polydata contains
20.000 points.

The following loop takes 30 seconds pr. iteration on a Dell Inspiron 9100,
3.2Ghz, 1 Gb RAM, ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 Mb, XP service pack 2:

for (int n=0; n<40; n++)

{

   cerr << "n = " << n << "\n";

   pPolyData->Modified();

   pRenWin->Render();        // uses 30 seconds!!

 }

On a Dell Dimension 8300 with GeForce Fx 5200 it takes less than a second.

I've upgraded with the latest graphics drives from Dell, also tried Omega
drivers ( <http://www.omegadrivers.net/> http://www.omegadrivers.net/), ran
the code on VTK42 DLLs (vtk42-LatestRelease.exe) and VTK44 (source
downloaded and build) but nothing seems to help.

Any advices would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Per