[vtkusers] Is vtkDistributedDataFilter put in the libvtkParallel.so library?

Jeremy Stout stout.jeremy at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 11:26:03 EDT 2004

Hello, I am working on a program that uses the
vtkDistributedDataFilter class. I can compile the program, but linking
phase fails. Here are the error messages I am receiving:

[stout at energy translator]$ g++ translator.cpp -otranslator
-I/usr/local/include/vtk -I/usr/local/packages/mpich/include
-L/usr/local/lib/vtk/ -lvtkCommon -lvtkDICOMParser -lvtkParallel
-lvtkIO -lvtkGraphics -lvtkFiltering -lvtkHybrid -lvtkImaging
-lvtkRendering -lvtkexpat -lvtkfreetype -lvtkftgl -lvtkjpeg -lvtkpng
-lvtktiff -lvtkzlib -L/usr/local/packages/mpich/lib -lmpich -ldl
-Wno-deprecated

tmp/ccQfSGzK.o(.text+0x21b): In function
`performTranslation(vtkDataSet*, char*, int, int, vtkMPIController*)':
: undefined reference to `vtkDistributedDataFilter::New()'
/tmp/ccQfSGzK.o(.text+0x246): In function
`performTranslation(vtkDataSet*, char*, int, int, vtkMPIController*)':
: undefined reference to
`vtkDistributedDataFilter::SetController(vtkMultiProcessController*)'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Now, if I switch to the library and do a "nm" on it, this is what I get:

[stout at energy vtk]$ cd /usr/local/lib/vtk/
[stout at energy vtk]$ nm libvtkParallel.so| c++filt| grep vtkDistributedDataFilter
[stout at energy vtk]$

The vtkDistributedDataFilter is an essential part of my program and I
would prefer to use it over rolling my own implementation. I'm using
VTK4.4.

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Jeremy Stout