[vtkusers] GUI resources access slowed down while using vtk

Bogdan Munteanu bogdan at to.adexa.com
Wed Oct 27 11:31:58 EDT 2004

Hi,

I am using vtk 4.2 in a C++ environment. The application I am working on
is an MDI-based program running on Windows XP with Service Pack 2 installed.

The hardware is decently good (1.5G of RAM, 128M video RAM, 1.7GHz
Centrino).

My MDI contains several views, one of which is based on the examples coming
with VTK.

Now comes the bad part: from time to time when the VTK view is brought up,
the system slows down significantly.

This is not due to the visualization pipeline ( I am rendering under 10
cubes, and the memory
consumption is under 200M for my application at that moment).

Moreover, the task manager doesn't show anything out of ordinary neither in
terms of CPU usage (under 6%!) nor of page faults.

Refreshing the other applications (.NET Studio, task manager) takes a lot
and one can see (literally) how the widgets of the other applications and
the icons on the desktop are refreshed one by one.

This situation continues even if I break my application in the debugger
(i.e., MY APPLICATION DOESN'T RUN). It looks like the access to the system's
GUI resources is being slowed down.

However, if I shut down the view, everything returns to normal.

Has anyone experienced anything similar?

I browsed the mailing list archive and the bug tracker: the only thing I
found was reported under the BUG #130.
However, even if the issue dealt with GUI resources, that case seemed to be
a combination of JVM and
VTK - Java wrappers, so it didn't help me much.

I really appreciate any help,

Cheers,
Bogdan