[vtkusers] Re: .raw Can't See Any Color

Goodwin Lawlor goodwin.lawlor at ucd.ie
Wed Oct 20 13:22:25 EDT 2004

Hi Nathaniel,

The VHP images are raw planar... not interlaced the way vtkImageReader
expects. You are seeing a grayscale image because you are only reading in
the first (monochrome) channel out of three.

I have a tcl script to read in a raw vhp image and display it in colour. You
can get it here:

http://www.bioengineering-research.com/vtk/vhpreader.tcl

You can get some test images to play with here:
ftp://ftp.nlm.nih.gov/visible/bitmaps/color24/
Decompress them first!

I was going to write a small vtk/tcl app to read/view/crop/write vhp raw
images but time doesn't permit. This script was an initial test. There are
shareware apps out there that can batch convert raw planar images to bmp/png
that vtk can read directly.

hth

Goodwin

news:41768797.8050400 at kitware.com...