[vtkusers] Video in Background of 3D-Scene

Ingmar Wegner i.wegner at dkfz-heidelberg.de
Wed Oct 13 13:41:23 EDT 2004

Hi,
I searched through the users-list and found some helpful tips on how to
grab frames with vtkVideoSource (vtkWin32VideoSource).
But I need further information on how to declare the video as
background, or show the video in background and to be able to draw
OpenGL- objects in front of it.
3D-interaction isn't really needed, so I might as well use a 2D scene.
But I need OpenGL to do some buffer calculations so a 3D window might be
a better choice, right?

So far I use a vtkWin32VideoSource to grab the frames.
1.Is there a way to overcome the update-process, cause the video always
needs to be updated?

Then I need to render the Video in background. I tried adding the actor
as the first, but didn't succeed.
I tried the combination with a vtkOpenGLImageActor and a vtkActor2D. The
vtkActor2D didn't show it in the background, and the vtkOpenGLImageActor
did show the video as a texture on a plane which i could also interact
with. An adjustment of the plane, which translates that plane, so it
always shows the video as background would be possible, but quite dirty!
2. What to take and how to show a video in the background?

3. Then for the OpenGL- context? Is there a nice way to add OpenGL-
calls at desired places? I need clipping and switching buffers. Or
should I rather implement a new rendererclass derived from vtkRenderer
or from vtkRenderWindow?

Thank you in advance,
Ingmar