[vtkusers] Color Mapping Gradients

Lindsey McAninch lindsey at sci.utah.edu
Wed Oct 6 12:20:18 EDT 2004

Ok, so here is my problem, if you know the answer please
be very explicit as I am fairly new to VTK and really need
things spelled out.

I am using marching cubes to render some ct data of the
cervical spine, C1 to be specific.  I want to visualize
the gradients, or the magnitude of the gradients as a
color map on the rendering.  I notice there is a
ComputeGradients method and GetComputeGradients method in
the marching cubes, but I am clueless as to how I should
go about connecting it all together and using a look up
table.  I also want to be able to take a portion of my
image and determine the average gradient within that small
portion to get an idea of the curvature in specific areas
of the bone.  I don't know how to do this either.  If
anyone has examples of setting up lookup tables and
getting a color mapping of this kind of data or could help
me, I would really appreciate it.  Thank you so much in
advance.

Lindsey Healy
University of Utah
Undergraduate