[vtkusers] how to join unstructured grids?

s comp sscomp2004 at yahoo.com.au
Tue Oct 5 12:45:07 EDT 2004

Thanks for the suggestions Jean,

Well what I want to do is create one big unstructured grid consisting entirely of voxels, and then create many other small unstructured grids, by triangulating small subsets of the points from the large grid, (only 9 to 26 points) and then merging the large grid with all the small grids. So all the points will already be in the parent grid, and all I really want to do is create more cells.

Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Sonam

"Jean M. Favre" <jfavre at cscs.ch> wrote:
s comp wrote:
> How can I join several unstructured grids together to make one?

Several ideas come to mind. Depends on what you really want to do:

1) If you're doing your own Data Source, a Point Locator will help you
merge coincident points for example.

http://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkMergePoints.html

2) the Parallel VTK formats will allow you to specify several pieces of
an unstructured domain.

read page 17 (and maybe more) here

http://www.vtk.org/pdf/file-formats.pdf

--