[vtkusers] Memory Leak In SampleMFC Example

Scott Merritt scott_merritt at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 15 16:35:27 EST 2004

I have compiled and run the SampleMFC project in VC++6.0 (SP5) using both static and shared MFC libraries. I have not modified the source files in any way from how they were distributed. Every time a render window is opened and re-closed in this application, around 3MB of memory is allocated and never de-allocated. As I continued to open and close windows, the memory continued to build up to 1.75GB at which point the program crashed. I am working on 2 other programs which use similar rendering constructs (one compiled in .NET) which exhibit the same behavior. Typically the rendering window is only opened perhaps a dozen times so this is not critical, but from a robustness and performance standpoint it is certainly worrisome.   If any other users have experienced this same phenomenon, can avoid it or have any insight, please let me know. The sample code I used is in VTK/Examples/GUI/Win32/SampleMFC/
Thanks