[vtk-developers] Re: [vtkusers] vtk 4.4.2, python, vtkTkRenderWidget, crashes X11

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu_r at users.sf.net
Sat Nov 13 01:58:13 EST 2004

    Burlen> Prabhu, thank you for the answer. This is a new machine,
    Burlen> and I have just installed everything from scratch,
    Burlen> including vtk, python and tcl/tk. my system doesn't have a
    Burlen> _tkinter.so!! any where. on the other hand niether does my
    Burlen> other system, which is not experiencing the crashes. both
    Burlen> systems are nearly identical in terms of hardware and
    Burlen> software, they have the same version of python, and tcl/tk
    Burlen> as well. My new machine only has one version of tcl/tk,
    Burlen> (so vtk and python aperently have been using the same
    Burlen> library??)

Could be a hardware problem?  CPU/GPU fan not running?

    Burlen> I tried to track down the _tkinter python module
    Burlen> (None, '_tkinter', ('', '', 6))

    Burlen> which means it is a C_BUILTIN, I think. So I don't know
    Burlen> where this leaves me, do you have any other ideas?

ldd on the Python binary (whereever that is) to see what libraries it
links to.  In any case I'd advise that you rebuild Python, make these
modules shared libraries, and try again.  I wonder why you need to
build everything from source?  The standard RPM's/debs should work
fine?

cheers,
prabhu