[vtkusers] vtkStreamingDemandDrivenPipeline

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Fri Nov 12 12:04:52 EST 2004

Huisman, H. wrote:
> Upgraded to a more recent VTK cvs checkout and I start to have messages
> like these:
>
> vtkStreamingDemandDrivenPipeline (0x8075e08): The update extent
> specified in the information for output port 0 on algorithm
> vtkImageMathematics(0x8074b58) is 0 511 0 511 0 79, which is outside the
> whole extent 0 511 0 511 0 23.

The CVS version of VTK is currently undergoing heavy changes that
introduce a new pipeline architecture.  There is a backward
compatibility layer to keep most things working.  One feature of the new
pipeline is that it is much more verbose about things that go wrong
instead of silently ignoring problems.

This message is telling you that your pipeline is making a request for
more data than the filter can produce.  Here are some possibilities:

1.) There is a bug in your program causing the bad request.

2.) There is a bug in VTK that produces the bad request.

You need to identify why a filter connected to vtkImageMathematics is
asking for more than the whole extent of the volume.

-Brad