[vtkusers] vtk 4.4.2, python, vtkTkRenderWidget, crashes X11

Burlen burlen at apollo.sr.unh.edu
Thu Nov 11 21:02:43 EST 2004

hello, can you please look at this if you're familiar with vtk??

I just upgraded from 4.2.3 to 4.4.2. When I made the change, I found that my
application I developed using python 2.3.4, Tkinter, and vtk 4.2 crashes X11,
I traced the crash as far as the vtkTkRenderWidget. under vtk 4.2 the
application never crashed. I am at a loss to figure out what is going on
here!

I have a tkinter gui up that has a bunch of config options, that creates a
toplevel dialog with the vtkTkRenderWidget inside it. When the options are
changed the user will press "render" and a new dialog is created with a new
vtkTkRenderWidget containing the scene.

The crash is predictable in that it always occurs in the call to create the
tkrenderwidget.

The crash is unpredictable, in that any number of creations can occur before
the crash. Sometimes it can go through > 10-20 "render"'s before the crash,
other times it crashes on the second one. It has never crashed on the first
"render" though, or on any type of predictable conditions.

I have set DebugOn() in all of the vtk objects I am usings, and am printing
the state of all my own objects. As far as the vtk output is concerned I am
not sure what to look for. I am redirecting the stderr into a file and the
last line is always:

X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown)^M

my x11 log says:

Fatal server error:
Caught signal 11.  Server aborting

in desperation I tried using vtkpython instead of python, but that didn't
help.

I am totally at a loss as how I can debug this. Does any one have any ideas??
I really am in need of some advise, here, if you have any ideas please share
them => Thanks

Burlen