[vtkusers] vtkClipDataSet quality

Maple Raymond C LtCol AFIT/ENY Raymond.Maple at afit.edu
Wed Nov 3 09:56:16 EST 2004

Hello,

   I have a question about the proper use of vtkClipDataSet.  I am using
this function to clip an unstructured tet grid against multiple planes.
I have found that if I clip against multiple planesat one time, either
through a vtkPlanes object or a vtkBoolean union of planes, the
resulting clip is not "clean."  Cells that get clipped by two or more
planes are not reduced properly.  However, if I construct multiple clip
objects and clip one plane at a time, everything turns out as expected.
Is this behavior by design, or is it a problem with the clipping
algorithm?  What is the recommended way to clip to a collection of
planes, either in the form of an axis aligned bounding box or
arbitrarily aligned planes?

Thank you.

Raymond C. Maple, Lt Col USAF

Deputy Department Head

Department of Aeronautics and Astronautics

Air Force Institute of Technology