[vtkusers] help! wierd pthread error..?

tom fogal tfogal at apollo.sr.unh.edu
Thu May 27 13:15:13 EDT 2004

Louis,

pthread_create() returns 11 (which is EAGAIN) when it can't create a new
thread. This probably means you have exhausted the number of available
threads on your system.
Since you're in an infinite loop, you're probably not 'join'ing each
thread and thus you run out of thread resources. POSIX threads are
created joinable by default, and this means you must pthread_join()
on every thread you pthread_create() or you will cause a resource leak
and run into problems like you're seeing now.
Maybe this is a bug in vtkMultiThreader or something that uses it, but
I suspect you're just not deleting an object after it is done use, and
that object creates a thread in its constructor and 'frees' (aka
pthread_join()s on it) in its destructor.

HTH,

-tom