[vtkusers] contour surface - evaluation of area

Michael Hilbinger michael.hilbinger at nmfgmbh.de
Tue May 25 06:43:09 EDT 2004

Hello,

perfoming investigations on the free surface evolution of liquids filling a
piping system,
the folllowing task gives me a hard time:

the general workflow is like the following:

-> deriving contours from a dataset with vtkContour, the contour will
represent the free surface
-> an evaluating the surface area using vtkMassProperties

Up to here everything works fine. unfortunately, due to the geometrical
setup there
is more than one piece of surface build by vtkContours, something like a
couple of isolated trianglestrips,
not connected with each other. passing this information to vtkMassProperties
will just give me the overall
surface area. What I need is the surface aera of each piece or each triangle
strip.

Has anybody an idea how to get the data separated in individual information?

Appreciating your efforts!

Best regards

Michael

------------------------------------