[vtkusers] RE: Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0"

Cameron N. Perry cnperry at ucsd.edu
Tue May 25 14:51:18 EDT 2004

>    2. Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0"
>       (Sambit Bhattacharya)
Sambit,

I had that exact same happen to me (in fact, it was my problem that you
referenced). There typically is no quick work-around. As far as I
remember, the fix only came from *reinstalling* the NVIDIA drivers to
the latest version. I think you can get those directly from NVIDIA now,
instead of relying on the drivers supplied by Dell, but don't quote me
on that - I had to get the sys admin to do it for me. It took the better
part of a day to figure out and fix the problem. Once those drivers are
installed, you might have to play around with some settings until XFree
automatically loads (and at the correct resolutions).

I hope this helps!

Regards,
Cameron

--