[vtkusers] Will vtkClipPolyData accept a narrow-band implicit function?

David.Pont at ForestResearch.co.nz David.Pont at ForestResearch.co.nz
Mon May 24 17:00:41 EDT 2004

Hi Ted,
   it should work OK if you just return a suitably large positive or
negative value for positions outside or inside the surface respectively. A
constant would be OK, as long as it has greater magnitude than any expected
value from the function, or at least greater than any value you want to
clip with. If you clip with values close to your dummy value the clip
boundary may not be located well, vtk uses linear interpolation so a very
large dummy value will pull the boundary towards it...
  regards
    Dave P

|         |           "Theodore D.     |
|         |           Sternberg"       |
|         |           <tdsternberg at lbl.|
|         |           gov>             |
|         |           vtkusers-admin at vt|
|         |           k.org            |
|         |           22/05/2004 09:47 |
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                                                |
  |       To:       vtkusers at vtk.org                                                                                               |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                      |
  |       Subject:  [vtkusers] Will vtkClipPolyData accept a narrow-band implicit function?                                        |

I'd like to supply my own vtkImplicitFunction to use with vtkClipPolyData.
However, it would be difficult to sensibly define my implicit function
everywhere.  Is there a way to get vtkClipPolyData to work properly with
an implicit function that is defined only within some neighborhood of the
set of points where that implicit function equals zero?

Ted Sternberg
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
Berkeley, California