[vtkusers] IDL or, preaching VTK to the nonconverted

Joey Mukherjee joey at swri.edu
Thu May 20 10:57:13 EDT 2004

We use IDL in this dept. a great deal, although I personally have never
used it.

One of the nicest things about IDL is the simplicity of the language to
do fairly complex stuff.  Working with matrices, arrays, etc.  Its
makes certain things easy, and other things impossible.  With VTK,
everything is possible, just hard.

Anyway, if you already have "real" programmers, VTK will let you do
more stuff.  If you have people who may not have real skill in software
like scientists or whatever, I bet they would be faster in IDL.  IDL is
fairly expensive, but so are labor costs.  Its really a judgment call.

If I were making the case for VTK, the only point I could really see is
the power to do stuff that IDL couldn't dream of doing.  Good luck!