[vtkusers] Re: Stereo rendering

Dr. Daniel James White PhD dan at chalkie.org.uk
Thu May 20 04:02:31 EDT 2004

Hi Oeyvind,

you should use
SetSeteroTypeToCrystalEyes

but you will also need the correct stuff in your XFree86 config file to
tell the left and right images to go to the correct scree/projector.
I'm not sure how to do thin, but someone will know.

Crystal eyes works on my red hat 8 box with VTK, using shutter glasses
on a CRT display.
You may see a bug that only one of the images is displayed if you use
an older VTK distro, but I believe it might be fixed in newest CVS.

People on the VMD mailing list might well know how to do the double
projector trick, you could ask or look there.

cheers

Dan

On 19 May 2004, at 21:41, vtkusers-request at vtk.org wrote:

> Message: 13
> From: "Oeyvind Knudsen" <knudsen at operamail.com>
> To: vtkusers at vtk.org
> Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 19:39:38 +0100
> Subject: [vtkusers] Stereo rendering
>
> Hi!
>
> I have two projectors with polarized lenses and polarized glasses, and
> want to use it with VTK. What kind of stereo type is appropriate for
> the vtkRenderWindow? I have tried several different, but can't seem to
> get it to work.
>
> In  python, I have done the following:
>
> self._RenderWindow = vtk.vtkRenderWindow()
> self._RenderWindow.StereoCapableWindowOn()
> self._RenderWindow.SetStereoTypeTo ??
> self._RenderWindow.StereoUpdate()
>
> I then use the '3' key to toggle stereo mode. With
> self._RenderWindow.SetStereoTypeToLeft() the effect is that the actors
> in the renderer are skewed a small amount to the side, that's all.
>
> The scene is made up of regular vtkActors, some tubes and some spheres.
>
> By the way, I'm running debian linux with an NVIDIA Quadro card.
>
> Have I forgotten something?
>
> Øyvind Knudsen
> --

Dr. Daniel James White BSc. (Hons.) PhD
Cell Biology
Department of biological and environmental science
PO Box  35
University of Jyväskylä
Jyväskylä FIN 40014
Finland