[vtkusers] Re: problems wrapping java in macosx 10.2.8 (Albert)

Albert albert at pensament.net
Wed May 19 17:10:52 EDT 2004

Wow, many messages. Let's go by parts:

Robert :
I got vtk 4.4 to run in MacOSX with python 2.3 and tcl / tk. There are
many things to install (and unistall also), and after succesfully
running vtk 4.4 (examples and all) I have setup a HOW TO at:
http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=22872&group_id=44711
(it's the ImageJ plugins sourceforge repository, intended for using VTK
from ImageJ).
As you'll see in the HOW TO, java 1.4.1 worked well with version 4.4
(but not with latest cvs release). I didn't have to change any jni.h
lines, so I figure it must have been corrected whereever it was needed.

Mathieu :
Yes, I have read the bug report from apple, but I believe it concerns
macosx 10.3.x and not the 10.2.x versions. As I said, the java 1.4.1
for macosx 10.2.x is inherently flawed and crippled, lacking any native
bindings but for jawt.h and jawt_md.h  (no jni.h etc). I sitll wonder
how 1.4.1 runs native (may be calling 1.3.1 for JNI ?).
I have installed java 1.4.1 as an Apple java upgrade at some point last
year, and I'm confident it was the last java update for 10.2.x versions.
Further, I have no clue (and found no clue through google) on what is
really missing in java 1.4.1 for 10.2.x -maybe just the headers
themselves, maybe much more in the java libraries? Apple is not willign
to answer such questions, they just suggest I upgrade to 10.3.x .

About version 4.4 in macosx: in general the examples run, but in its
own way: when double-clicking any of the nodes of the ExampleTree.java
application, the launched examples usually run (some don't, need to
make a list because I'm getting inconsistent output) but when shown,
always the image is shown in a separate window than the actual
interface where the buttons and sliders are. Dragging the mouse in an
empty window actually rotates the image in the separate window! (for
instance the Modelling/SpherePuzzle).

Also, I'm looking for VTK java requirements (which is the lowest
version that can run VTK with java wrapping). If I knew them maybe I
could tweak the system a bit.

Thanks.

Albert Cardona
Department of Genetics