[vtkusers] Rendering into pre-existing OpenGL-window without any vtkRenderWi ndow-Instance

Lisa Avila lisa.avila at kitware.com
Tue May 18 13:04:42 EDT 2004

Hi Marian,

>Next thing is, that i'm not only getting the OpenGL-window from another
>program, the program is responsible for cameras/lights as well. That's the
>reason for my intention to have a Render-thingabob, which really doesn't
>care about anything else than rendering geometry _but_ is able to work
>together with Interactors and widgets.

No - VTK does not have a way to do this - you need to duplicate your lights
/ camera in VTK. The reason for this is that some mappers / filters use
information in these object in order to do their thing. For example, if you
use a volume ray cast mapper (structured or unstructured) it needs to know
the light / camera information in order to generate an image in software
which it then displays on the screen. Or if you use the depth sorting
filter for polygons in order to produce good transparent effects, the
camera information is required to perform the correct sorting. Providing a
way to not specify the camera / light information in VTK would mean a big
headache in figuring out which mappers  / filters you couldn't use that way.

Lisa