[vtkusers] Re: I am new at VTK

Mathieu Malaterre mathieu.malaterre at kitware.com
Tue May 18 12:01:03 EDT 2004

paulus joo wrote:
> Dear Mathieu,
>
> First, sorry for my poor English, and sorry to sent you an e-mail
> directly, not to the VTK mailing list.
> I am new in VTK. Currently I work on Windows platform and MS Visual C++
> ver 6.0.
> I wanted to implement VTK on it but I think it needs some basic change.
> So I'll plan to consider to use Linux also. I have a little experience
> installing standard
> linux (without any modification on the setting), but no experince
> programming in linux especially X-window programming.

If you were sending the errors you had building VTK with V++6 on the
vtkusers list, I am sure tons of people will help you go through them.
We build VTK with VC++6 every night, and we don't have any problems.

> Would you mind to inform me and suggest me:
> 1. What kind of linux shoul I install (Red Hat, Debian, Mandrake)?.
> 2. What kind of software or tools should I install to implement VTK?.
> Since maybe there are several tools (such as GTK) of every kind of tool,
> please mention one of  them.
> 3. What kind of compiler should I use?. Please mention the sources where
> can I found its tutorial, documentation,etc.
> 4. If I will use want to use the functions of OpenGL, is it Mesa is
> capable enough to do that?

Don't use Linux, if you don't want to. VTK is cross-plateform. Plus I am
sure you could enjoy the pain of using VC++ in building application :p

anyway send us (vtkusers) the log of your errors.

BTW a good starting point:

[Installing VTK 4.1.x on a Windows PC]
http://www.imm.dtu.dk/pubdb/views/publication_details.php?id=502

Thanks