[vtkusers] Question: best way to visualize multiply translucent surfaces in vtk

Feng Ma mafeng at hotmail.com
Tue May 11 15:22:52 EDT 2004

Hi,

  I am new to vtk. I am working on a small project to visualize multiply
translucent surfaces using vtk. The requirement is to display/interact
multiply surfaces (translucent or opaque). My questions are:

  1. In order to rotate multiple surfaces together, I could create multiple
actors and add them to vtkAssembly. Or I could create multiple polydata,
add to vtkAppendPolyData, and create one mapper and one actor from
vtkAppendPolyData. I think the advantage of vtkAppendPolyData is that I
could use vtkDepthSortPolyData to deal with translucent surfaces. And it
will be easier to use vtkAssembly if I want to do picking ( to delete/change
surfaces properties later). Is there a way that I could do both ( picking
and depth sorting)?

  2. If I will add volume rendering to the same renderer, what is the better
solution to allow both picking and depth sorting (along with volume
rendering)?

  thanks a lot.

-Feng