[vtkusers] Getting Cutplanes more interactive?

Saeger, Marian Marian.Saeger at eads.net
Wed May 5 09:25:22 EDT 2004

Hi!

I am visualizing an unstructured grid with 5 associated cell data arrays,
~2.000.000 scalar values each.

I'm using vtkImplicitPlaneWidget in association with vtkCutter to let the
user navigate through the data. Unfortunately, the interactive response is
very bad on a 2.8GhZ CPU. Every time the cutplane needs to be updated, there
is a ~10s delay.

I was wondering if this is a known performance issue related to unstructured
grids? I guess it takes some time to access the data and interpolate the
values - but are there any hints how to speed up that process? Especially
because I want to update the plane on every InteractionEvent, not only on
EndInteractionEvent.

vtkPlaneWidget, in opposite to vtkImplicitPlaneWidget, has the opportunity
to specify grid resolution. To speed up things during interaction one could
reduce that resolution. I found no option for vtkImplicitPlane to do similar
things....=|

Or may vtkCutter be the bottleneck? What would be more likely to eat up
calculation time - calculating the cutplane, or probing the cell data
arrays?!? =|

Thanks in advance for any useful hints!

Greetings,

Marian