[vtkusers] Large Datasets and vtkImageDataStreamer

Alexander Fiksel alexf at coherentsolutions.com
Mon May 3 11:36:16 EDT 2004

I have a very large, > 1 GB, StructuredPoints dataset and I use vtkStructuredPointsReader to load it.  I would like to select VOI and/or resample  and I can use vtkExtractVOI filter for this. The problem it that for this filter to work,  the entire dataset should be loaded in the memory. Is there any way to avoid it and read not the entire data, but only the points I need?
Can I use vtkImageDataStreamer filter to do something like this:

vtkStructuredPointsReader reader

vtkImageDataStreamer imageStreamer
imageStreamer SetInput [reader GetOutput]
imageStreamer GetExtentTranslator] SetSplitModeToBlock

vtkExtractVOI voi
voi SetInput [imageStreamer GetOutput]
voi SetSampleRate 10 10 10

Does the vtkStructuredPointsReader  supports streaming? If not, what optons do I have?

Thanks a lot,
Alex