[vtkusers] Problems Installing vtk 4.2 with Java -- Please Help!

sprabhakar sprabhakar at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 31 12:54:36 EST 2004

Hello,

I have been trying to install vtk 4.2 with Java by building
source code release. When I try executing Cone example,
I get the following error.

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Cone

Here are the steps I followed, in detail.

Computer Configuration:

I am installing vtk4.2 on Windows 2000 Professional. I already have
Visual Studio .Net and j2sdk1.4.2_02 installed. I installed CMake 1.8.3.

Detailed Steps:

1. I copied subdirectories and files of vtk-src-windows directory on CD-ROM
onto
a local directory using "xcopy".

2. Then I ran CMake with the following settings:
    BUILD-SHARED-LIBS    yes
   VTK_WRAP_JAVA      yes

Then I wrote out the build files using "ok" button.
(I indicated a new folder for binary files)

3. My Visual Studio .Net automatically detected the new VTK.dsw project
file.
I selected "debug" for Active Configuration and applied ALL_BUILD.
(Later I tried with Active Configuration --> Release with the same
consequences).
Now I have a Debug folder added to CMake folder in my binaries directory.

4. I set up my environment "path" variable to point to Debug.

5. I compiled Cone.java using javac and then tried to execute it using "java
Cone".
This gave the error mentioned above.

6. Then I copied all the files in Debug and pasted them in Winnt/System
directory.
I recompiled and executed Cone.java, with the same consequences.

I appreciate any help on this.

Prabhakar