[vtkusers] build problems (major newbie Q)

W. Bryan Smith wbsmith at its.caltech.edu
Sat Mar 27 03:30:11 EST 2004

Hi,

I am not able to build the vtk.exe (or I do not understand how to run the
vtk program).

I am running WinXP Pro, with MS Visual Studio (Vis Studio.NET v7, 2001)

Here is a list of what I have done so far:

1)       Install Cmake

2)       Unzipped the VTK download to C:\vtk

3)       Run Cmake, pointed to C:\vtk as source, and C:\vtk\vtkbin as
destination

4)       Open the VTK Visual Studio Solution

5)       Build "ALL_BUILD"

The build is completed, and a new directory C:\vtk\vtkbin\bin is created.

Unfortunately, that directory does not contain vtk.exe, but it does contain
a debug directory.

There are some applications in that folder that I can successfully run, such
as the TimeRenderer.

But there is no vtk.exe anywhere on my hard disk.

If I can provide any further information (build logs, etc), please let me
know.

Thanks,

Bryan