[vtkusers] Build failure for vtk on os x Panther with python

Sander Niemeijer niemeijer at science-and-technology.nl
Wed Mar 17 04:18:36 EST 2004

I think you stumbled upon the same thing I did once. It is a CMake
thing.
I used CMake 1.8.1 and if you look at the file
cmake-1.8.1/Modules/FindPythonLibs.cmake file you see there are some
special rules for the Apple platform. The weird thing (and I have
absolutely no idea why they do this!) is that they check whether your
PYTHON_INCLUDE_PATH matches the string 'Python.framework' (which it
does in your case) and if this is the case CMake sets the
PYTHON_LIBRARY to "". So your PYTHON_LIBRARY setting actually gets
deleted!!!!!
The trick I did is to make a symbolic link (that doesn't include the
name 'Python.framework' in its path) somewhere, point this to the
Python include directory and then provide the location of the symbolic
link to PYTHON_INCLUDE_PATH.

Regards,
Sander