[vtkusers] COnversion to 4.2

James C. Robinson j.robinson at kepler-systems.com
Thu Mar 11 07:19:06 EST 2004

Dear All,

I would appreciate if someone could help me ASAP with this simple query. I
am converting my code from 4.0 to 4.2 I had hoped thought it would be a
relatively simple process, but the following compile error is a bit
disconcerting:

Error 1:
:\Jim\Programming\mfc\Kes\PanMeshv3.1\Source\cross-section.cpp(48) : error
C2664: 'SetInput' : cannot convert parameter 1 from 'class
vtkUnstructuredGrid *' to 'class vtkDataSet *'
        Types pointed to are unrelated; conversion requires
reinterpret_cast, C-style cast or function-style cast

// The actual plane surface
    pCrossSection->SetInput(pMeshReader->GetOutput()) ;
    pCrossSection->SetCutFunction(pPlane) ;

Where pCrossSection is a vtkCutter* and pMeshReader is a
vtkUnstructuredGridReader*. This code worked under v4.0.

Error 2:

C:\Jim\Programming\mfc\Kes\PanMeshv3.1\Source\cross-section.cpp(59) : error
C2027: use of undefined type 'vtkPolyDataMapper'
        C:\Jim\Programming\VTK 4.2\VTK\Rendering\vtkDataSetMapper.h(32) :
see declaration of 'vtkPolyDataMapper'
When I look into the v4.2 vtkDataSetMapper.h I see:
#ifndef __vtkDataSetMapper_h
#define __vtkDataSetMapper_h

#include "vtkMapper.h"

class vtkPolyDataMapper;
class vtkDataSetSurfaceFilter;

Compare this with the header file in v4.0:
#ifndef __vtkDataSetMapper_h
#define __vtkDataSetMapper_h

#include "vtkDataSetSurfaceFilter.h"
#include "vtkPolyDataMapper.h"
#include "vtkRenderer.h"
#include "vtkImageData.h"
Why the change? Has this type of change been made right through v4.2?

Finally, before I make a total mess of good code that works under v4.0, what
other changes have been made that will affect either the compilation or the
running of my code?

Many thanks,

Jim

James C. Robinson, PhD,