[vtkusers] associating data to polydata

Malcolm Drummond malcolm at geovision.co.za
Wed Mar 10 05:41:54 EST 2004

Hi Sebastien

I handled the polygons one by one as I was using GLU tessellation and could not see a way of sorting out which triangles belonged to which polygon if I passed more than one at a time. I needed to know this in order to assign scalar values + id.

With the current data-structures I don't see a way to provide lookup capabilities other than propagating the original ids in an extra array. Once the array is there, most of the filters will continue this propagation for you, but when you first create the polydata this would be your responsibility. You mention vtkTriangle filter, this should copy the polygon cell-data to respective triangles but it has no way of handling internal boundaries - or is that not an issue for you?

First prize would be a new cell-type comprising multiple triangles (like a surface-patch), each triangle would have it's own sub-id but also an id for the whole cell (or 'patch') - vtkTrisolation or something like that. I think it would be fairly complicated to implement as it would require handling of variable number of faces, in contrast to current 3D cells which have fixed number of faces. This could be used for glyphing as well as polygon decomposition and would allow direct mappings from cell-id into external data. I think it would be useful for importing CAD (polyface mesh etc.) as well as GIS. Maybe there are reasons why this would not be practical.

Regards
Malcolm