[vtkusers] Re:stereo rendering with volumepro1000, not working properly?

Dr. Daniel James White PhD dan at chalkie.org.uk
Wed Mar 10 04:44:29 EST 2004

Hi Lisa,

thanks for your reply!

> If your ray cast mapper is not correctly working in stereo, then the
> VolumePro mapper won't either - you are still using a version of VTK
> with the "bug" in it. I know we fixed it on a branch - I'll have to
> check tomorrow whether it is fixed on the main tree or not. The
> problem was (maybe is) that the left/right flag was switched right
> after setting up the camera for that eye - which means that by the
> time these volume mappers asked for the current matrix the wrong one
> was returned.

My VTK is a recent CVS build, and it looks like the bug was not fixed
in that. It was built after Xmas.
How can I check my present code for the bug fix?

> So - if you had the fix the ray cast mapper would work, but I am still
> not sure about the VolumePro mapper. I believe that we set up the
> matrix is VLI by using just the position / focal point from the camera
> (which I do not believe are altered at all in stereo mode). The
> disparity you are seeing is because the matrix for OpenGL changes
> between eyes, and the texture mapped polygons (with the results from
> the board)  are rendered in two different places because of this. The
> images themselves will be identical.

So do you mean that the 2 images from the volpro1000 board are the
same, and not really left and right eye images, but are just placed in
different places....? Do you mean this happens with the
intermixintersectinggeometryon flag causes this?

Surely the volumepro1000 board should be able to make 2 images , one
from each eye, and send them to VTK in both perceptive and parallel
modes, then it should just work right?

> I have to look at the code in vtkCamera to see what is done in
> parallel for stereo rendering - I am not sure this is intended to work
> at all (it does not really make sense, right?) And the VolumePro
> mapper only works in parallel......

Yes, I guess parallel stereo doesn't make physical or theoretical
sense, BUT, at least using my setup and my eyes, the parallel image
using isosurfaces "looks" good, and there is a good impression of
depth...... so I suppose it might "work" for ray casting methods also.
The thing is, at present only the parallel mode is able to zoom in and
out using volumepro1000. The perspective mode using volumepro1000 does
work, but not zooming, only spinning around.
So it would be nice to use pseudo-nonsense-but-still-looks-ok stereo in
parallel mode with the volumepro1000 mapper....
I hope the VTK bug fix corrects this....?

If I can show people stereo3D real time zooming and spinning of their
confocal microscope data, volume rendered using the volumepro1000
board, they and my boss will be very happy!

cheers

Dan

dan at chalkie.org.uk
white at cc.jyu.fi