[vtkusers] error in python wrapping - MSVC 7.1 - unresolved external

alexandre gouaillard alexandre.gouaillard at insa-lyon.fr
Mon Mar 8 11:09:52 EST 2004

dear all,

I am experiencing troubles in wrapping a VTK-compliant class in python.
The class was compiling without any problems under MSVC 6 (full updates).

I am using vtk 4.5.0 recompiled using CMAKE (1.8p3) for MSVC .NET (to bypass
the stdlib problem).

here are my strange link problems:

AdaptiveRemeshPyInit.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol
_PyVTKClass_AdaptiveRemeshPyNew referenced in function
_init_initwrappythonwin32
vtkAdaptiveLinearSubdivisionFilterPython.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved
external symbol "protected: virtual void __thiscall
vtkAdaptiveLinearSubdivisionFilter::CollectRevisions(class ostream &)"
(?CollectRevisions at vtkAdaptiveLinearSubdivisionFilter@@MAEXAAVostream@@@Z)
vtkAdaptiveLinearSubdivisionFilterPython.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved
external symbol "public: virtual void __thiscall
vtkObjectBase::PrintTrailer(class ostream &,class vtkIndent)"
(?PrintTrailer at vtkObjectBase@@UAEXAAVostream@@VvtkIndent@@@Z)
vtkAdaptiveLinearSubdivisionFilterPython.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved
external symbol "public: virtual void __thiscall
vtkObjectBase::PrintHeader(class ostream &,class vtkIndent)"
(?PrintHeader at vtkObjectBase@@UAEXAAVostream@@VvtkIndent@@@Z)
vtkAdaptiveLinearSubdivisionFilterPython.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved
external symbol "public: virtual void __thiscall
vtkPolyDataToPolyDataFilter::PrintSelf(class ostream &,class vtkIndent)"
(?PrintSelf at vtkPolyDataToPolyDataFilter@@UAEXAAVostream@@VvtkIndent@@@Z)
\../python/vtkSnake3DSovitaPy/AdaptiveRemeshPy.dll : fatal error LNK1120: 5
unresolved externals

I checked the correponding dll (vtkCommon.dll and vtkFiltering.dll) with
dependecy walker and indeed the methods I can find there are different (3
args instead of two) :
?PrintTrailer at vtkObjectBase@@UAEXAAV?$basic_ostream at DU?$char_traits at D@std@@@
std@@VvtkIndent@@@Z
?PrintHeader at vtkObjectBase@@UAEXAAV?$basic_ostream at DU?$char_traits at D@std@@@s
td@@VvtkIndent@@@Z
?PrintSelf at vtkPolyDataToPolyDataFilter@@UAEXAAV?$basic_ostream at DU?$char_trai
ts at D@std@@@std@@VvtkIndent@@@Z

anyone got any idea about what s going on , and how to fix it ?

alex.