[vtkusers] VTK patented classes for Windows

An Jiye an_jiye at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 5 06:22:32 EST 2004

> Did  anyone send a reply to this message?
> I am trying to use the Patented classes too, but with no success in
> building vtk to recognize them.  I've downloaded the source code and using
> CMake with the VTK_USE_PATENTED option set to ON it configures but when I
> try to run a program using vtkMarchingCubes.h I get error messages like
> can't find vtkMarchingCubes.h or vtkMarchingCubes.dll

If you have downloaded the source code and compiled them with
VTK_USE_PATENTED option set to ON, you will certainly get the
vtkPatented.lib and vtkPatented.dll, together with other vtk*.dlls in the
(VTK_BIN)/Debug or (VTK_BIN)/Release directory.

To use the classes from Patented/ directory in your application, include
vtkMarchingCubes, you must change some necessary settings.

For example, in Microsoft Visual C++, you must specify the path for all
vtk*.h files, and the linking path of all vtk*.lib files. Remember to add
vtkPatented.lib to the link library from "Project Settings".

You can search this mailing list for how to set the building enviroments.
There are many questions of this kind. :)

And the last thing, keep in mind the vtkMarchingCubes is a class using
algorithm patented by General Electric Company. So if you use it for
commercial application you should contact the patent holder and obtain a
license. See
http://public.kitware.com/cgi-bin/vtkfaq?req=show&file=faq07.005.htp for
details.

Hope this helps.