[vtkusers] vtkMDI + SetParentId() + SetWindowId()

de Boer Ingo I.deBoer at polytec.de
Wed Mar 3 11:27:09 EST 2004

Hi John,

> Following the recent thread on the MFC vtkMDI sample, I am still not certain
> on the merits of using both SetParentId() & SetWindowId() or just SetParentId().
At the moment it is the only way to get e.g. the double click
or do you get it from an observer?

> get at these messages, presumably, an observer can be added to the render
> window interactor.
I have not worked with observers, yet...

> However, the MFC created view coincident with the vtk window appears a redundant overhead?
No, not in my opinion. You can also create the MFC window like in they do in VTK.
I mean you can use the same creation flags...

> It would be nice if this could be used without knowing what messages it should handle
> (as I think Ingo is suggesting).
Yes, that would be great. I haven't found a good way, yet...

At the moment I am writing new simple MFC samples (MDI, SDI, DLG) based on the existing
ones. I will send them asap to the mailing list for discussion and testing.
They will have the ParentID and WindowID and also the message stuff without any changes
in the VTK source. This should be changed in time ... as a suggestion.

greets
  Ingo

---
Dr.-Ing. Ingo H. de Boer

Polytec GmbH
Polytec-Platz 1-7, 76337 Waldbronn, Germany
phone: ++49 7243 604 106
fax  : ++49 7243 604 255