[vtkusers] String Values as Scalar Data

Andrew Wilford andrew at artwork.com
Wed Mar 3 10:01:03 EST 2004

Hi,

I have had some success in assigning color values to PolyData points, so
that the data appears the correct color in the viewer. Now I want to go a
step further and associate a layer value with the data, so that I can
selectively view subsets of the data based on this parameter. How would I go
about representing this in VTK and would I be restricted to integers, or
could the layer be a string?

While on the subject, my current approach to assigning color gives each
point a color. There is some redundancy here and I have heard mention of
using scalar indeces. Could anyone explain how this works as well?

Andrew Wilford