[vtkusers] Accessing polygon normals

M. Enzweiler duke123 at gmx.net
Wed Mar 3 08:53:28 EST 2004

Hi!

I am using VTK with Sensable's GHOST software to graphically and haptically
visualize medical volume data with a Phantom. So far, I am doing some volume
rendering along with displaying segments (i.e. bones) consisting of
isosurfaces. VTK is used to extract and process (triangulate, decimate, smooth, ...)
the isosurfaces.

In particular I am using an instance of vtkPolyDataNormals, which - as I
understand - computes a normal vector at each vertex of each polygon. Each
polygon of the mesh is transferred to the haptic domain as a list of indices into
a list of vertices. So far, this works quite well.

However, in order to use haptic smoothing, I need to specify a normal at
each vertex, which the vtkPolyDataNormals should compute. But I haven't found a
way to access the computed normals yet.

Any ideas ?

Markus