[vtkusers] VTK Performance and SMP

Lisa Avila lisa.avila at kitware.com
Tue Jun 15 22:53:47 EDT 2004

Hello Cameron,

There are two flavors of parallel processing supported (to different
levels) in VTK.

For shared memory parallelism, many algorithms will automatically use
additional processors when available. For example, most of the imaging
filters and some of the graphics filters will use additional processors, as
will the volume ray cast mapper.

VTK also has some base support of distributed processing. This is not done
transparently - you have to set up pipelines across different processors.
ParaView is an application built on top of VTK that does the division of
the data / processing across a cluster for you. Check out the web site at
www.paraview.org.

Lisa