[vtkusers] Which one to use?! Fltk? GTK? WxWidgets..?!

Mathieu Malaterre mathieu.malaterre at kitware.com
Fri Jun 4 16:17:06 EDT 2004

> So I'm really not sure which route to take right now.. Would you have any
> suggestions, keeping in mind that I need to maintain
> platform-independence, and that my code has to be fast (real-time), and
> that I basically need to have an event-loop to be able to detect events
> from a keyboard, mouse, and motion-tracker?

This really depend on what you are used to. If you are not familiar with
python, and you are done with the devpt stage. I guess you can just stay
with c++.

<opinion>
My favorite toolkit is wxWidget, and I did a class to bridge to VTK
wxVTKRenderWindowInteractor which you'll find:

http://www.creatis.insa-lyon.fr/~malaterre/wxVTK/
</opinion>

FLTK is way much lighter and thus faster. But one of the advantage of
wxW is that it has the look and feel of the target OS.

HTH
Mathieu