[vtkusers] visualizing a vtkRectilinearGrid

tom fogal tfogal at apollo.sr.unh.edu
Fri Jun 4 15:19:05 EDT 2004

Sorry for more of this thread... hopefully it will help someone trying
to write their own Reader object in the future. It seems I've run in
to a technical C++ issue.

Well, I figured out that I need to allocate a new vtkRectilinearGrid
within my object and then call this->SetOutput() with an argument of
the Grid that I created.
This fixes the DataDescription problem, but brings me back to my
earlier problem!

The [letter]Coordinates arrays are becoming NULL somehow. I think I'm
running into some sort of issue with vtkRectilinearGridGeometryFilter
when I try to SetInput() on it. SetInput actually ends up calling
vtkProcessObject::SetNthInput(0,my_vtkRectilinearGrid) and it all
works out because vtkRectilinearGrid is a descendant of vtkDataObject,
which is what SetNthInput wants for a second argument.

gdb doesn't seem to know the true identity of this vtkDataObject is a
vtkRectilinearGrid. If I try to print
vtkRectilinearGridGeometryFilter::Inputs[0] it tells me that it is a
pointer to a vtkDataObject. If i try to cast it into a
vtkRectilinearGrid, I get "whatever's in memory" for the extra slots
that vtkRectilinearGrids add to vtkDataObjects - including XCoordinates,
YCoordinates, ZCoordinates.

So because of this I'm thinking that somehow during the input-insertion
procedure the vtkRectilinearGrid is losing the full scope of its type.
I'm not exactly sure why though... it seems like a perfectly valid model
for what needs to be done (storing derived objects via an array of
pointers to a parent objects).

Whew. Any C++/VTK guru's are more than welcome to comment...

-tom