[vtkusers] vtkDelaunay2D

Immo Trinks trinks at esc.cam.ac.uk
Thu Jun 3 12:35:16 EDT 2004

Hi Cedric

I think what you want is a program like Cocone or TightCocone
from Tamal Dey at Ohio State University.
http://www.cse.ohio-state.edu/%7Etamaldey/cocone.html
The code is free but you have to apply for a password in order to download it.

vtkDelaunay2D triangulates the points by projecting them into a plane and then
performing a 2D triangulation. You can rotate your point cloud in order to
get a better triangulation, however, to my knowledge you won't be able to
obtain a triangulated surface that fits nicely around a 3D point cloud.

I had recently a similar problem and used sucessfully the cocone program for
surface reconstruction. You can then read the output from Cocone and convert
it quite easy into vtk readable format. Let me know if you need advice on how
to convert it.

Immo