[vtkusers] about the conflict between the new IO and the old IO

Yixun Liu yxliu at fudan.edu.cn
Thu Jul 29 09:39:51 EDT 2004

Hi ITKUsers and VTKusers,

            I need use ITK+VTK, so I build them both with the "use_ansi_stdlib" ON. However, one of my programs which once worked fine with the VTK(the parameter "use_ansi_lib" is Off) can not work. The compile error is:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\INCLUDE\ios.h(104) : error C2371: 'ostream' : redefinition; different basic types
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\INCLUDE\iosfwd(257) : see declaration of 'ostream'

I think the reason is that the conflict between the new IO and the old IO, so I add the #undef VTK_USE_ANSI_STDLIB in my program, but the compiler report the same error. If I build the VTK with the "use_ansi_lib" Off and add the #define VTK_USE_ANSI_STDLIB in my programm, I think, I can resolve this problem. However, I need use the VTK with the ITK, if I build the VTK with 'use_ansi_lib" Off, I have to build the ITK with the same configuration. I do not want to do like this.  Can I have other choices to resolve the conflict between the old IO and the new IO?

Thank you in advance!

Best regards,

Yixun Liu