[vtkusers] java problems (swing)

matthias specht specht at ifi.unizh.ch
Wed Jul 28 11:45:14 EDT 2004

hello,
I'm having problems with java and vtk on linux.
the problem is that just importing the shared library "vtkRenderingJava"
causes my java program to crash. In the java-program I create a JFrame,
and it seems as soon as I call JFrame.pack() it crashes (see attached
file hs_err_pid14620.log). Even if I don't use any vtk class at all!

I searched the vtkuser mailinglist archive and found two old posts:
http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/vtkusers/2002-September/063145.html
http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/vtkusers/2003-May/067266.html
they describe a similar problems I think and the proposed hack helped me
as well: I put the static system.loadLibrary() - block into a subclass
of JFrame and it didn't crash anymore - at least not on startup. it now
crashes on exit....quite a progress but still I'm not happy :)
(see attached file hs_err_pid10760.log)

you find details about my system below.

I would be very very happy if somebody could point out the source of the
problems I'm having. It seems many other people are struggling with the
same problem.
I just started developing a large application with java/vtk - and I'm a
bit worried now how good this  two team up...it seems it's not easy to
integrate vtkPanel into a Swing GUI....ist there any documentation about
this available (I checked both VTK books already) or can somebody tell
me about his/her experiences?

thanx a lot

matthias

plattforms: gentoo 2004 (same on redhat 8.0, kernel 2.4.20)
sun-jdk 1.4.2.04 & 1.4.2.05
vtk 4.2

bash-2.05b$ uname -a
Linux pinga 2.6.7-gentoo-r9 #1 Mon Jul 12 15:02:25 MEST 2004 i686
Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.66GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux