[vtkusers] VTK CVS + wxPython...

Charl P. Botha c.p.botha at ewi.tudelft.nl
Fri Jul 23 05:55:57 EDT 2004

Andrea,

Andrea Gavana wrote:
> that a lot of people were using wxPython + VTK on a Windows machine. Obviously
> it was a mistaken. If after 3 months of presence of wxVTKRWI in the CVS no one
> has complained about some strange behavior on Window$ machines, it means that
> no one is using it. I had the same behavior on Win2000, XP and 98.

That's not a sound conclusion.  There was a problem in the wxVTKRWI
example, not in the code itself.  In my software for example, wxVTKRWI
has been happily chugging along for a very long time on Linux and Windows.

>       Now, if someone of you would like to try my application, please download
> these 2 files:

> Probably there is something else, but not I'm a little disappointed about
> everything. I should work and study Python/C++ a little more, probably.

I don't think many people will have the time to study your code, it's
simply too much.  It's a VERY good exercise to try and abstract an
example of no more than 25 or 30 lines that demonstrates a SINGLE one of
your problems.  In other words, in you case you'll make 2 or 3 small
examples.  Also make sure that your examples make use of one or more of
the standard VTKData datasets and have no other dependencies.

You'll often see that you solve your own problems once you go through
this abstraction exercise.  In the case where you don't, other people
who use Python + VTK (and also wxPython) will be far more likely to give
your code a hard look.

One last tip: chin up!  Python + VTK + wxPython is a marvellous
combination.  Once you get to know them better, it's quite amazing what
you can do.

Good luck,
Charl